Samsung Galaxy A72 4G Specifications.
- Display: 6.7" inch Super AMOLED Plus, 90Hz
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~393 ppi density)
- Build: Front glass, plastic body
- Sim Card: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Operating system: Android 11, One UI 3.0
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7125 Snapdragon 720G (8 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2x2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6x1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 618
- RAM: 6GB RAM
- ROM: 128GB ROM
- Memory Card: microSD, up to 1 TB (dedicated slot)
- UFS 2.1
- Rear camera Quad: 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.72", 0.8µm, PDAF + 8 MP, f/2.0, 52mm (telephoto), PDAF, OIS, 2x optical zoom + 12 MP, f/2.2, 123˚ (ultrawide) + 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- Camera features: LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Front camera: 32 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1/2.8", 0.8µm; HDR, 1080p@30fps
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/240fps, 1080p@960fps; gyro-EIS
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- Radio: FM Radio
- USB: USB 2.0 Type-C, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 5000 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast charging 25W
Functional design and great display
The Galaxy A72 is a big smartphone just like its A-series siblings that were released this year. The Super AMOLED display measures a whopping 6.7-inches across diagonally with an FHD+ resolution and 90 Hz refresh rate. Even when armed with a 5,000 mAh battery, the smartphone manages to retain a sleek look while tipping the scales at 205 grams.
- The camera module is aligned with the back design.
- Excellent grip.
- IP67 certification.
- On-screen fingerprint sensor
The A72's screen is bright at 800 nits, and the fact that we have a 90 Hz refresh rate enabled all the time makes viewing content on the display a smooth experience. On the other hand, not having an adaptive refresh rate can lead to higher power consumption, especially when you are binge-watching a series or going on a movie marathon via a video streaming service. The ability to switch between 90 and 60 frames per second requires you to access the display settings, which is a bummer.
Viewing videos, movies, and surfing the web happens to be daily tasks that most people indulge in, hence a smartphone needs to be proficient at these tasks at the very least. And the Galaxy A72 is excellent in these aspects. The display carries Samsung's seal of quality, where it is bright enough and the colors are vibrant. However, I had to change the screen mode from vivid to natural, because some app icons, especially those that rely on red, ended up looking oversaturated.
The performance isn't top-notch, but that's OK
The Snapdragon 720G processor is a relative newcomer to the scene as it was announced in early 2020, and is based on the 8 nm manufacturing process. It relies on Kryo 465 cores and the Adreno 618 GPU to handle the graphical workload. This is the processor that powers the Galaxy A72 alongside 6 GB of RAM and 128 GB of internal storage (available memory stands at 102.7 GB). This smartphone also comes with microSD memory card support of up to 1 TB
- Satisfactory gaming performance.
- Expandable memory.
- 4 years of security updates.
- 3 years of system updates.
- OneUI 3.0 is extremely versatile
A mid-range smartphone with a telephoto lens!
The cameras on the Galaxy A72 are quite versatile and features a telephoto lens as well, making it unique among the A-series this year. In addition, Samsung has thrown in an optical image stabilizer for good measure.
64 MP main lens, f/1.8 aperture, OIS.
12 MP ultra-wide-angle lens, f/2.2 aperture, 123° angle of view.
8 MP telephoto lens, f/2.4 aperture, 3x optical, and 30x digital zoom.
5 MP macro lens, f/2.4 aperture.
32 MP selfie, no AF.
Admirable battery life with a single exception
The Galaxy A72 packs a 5,000 mAh battery with support for 25W fast charging. For a smartphone with intermediate hardware and without too many power-hungry options, the battery capacity here is top-notch. However, we miss out on wireless charging here.
What I liked:
- Long battery life
- Stable discharge rate
What I didn't like:
- No wireless charging option
- 25W fast charging is slower than the competition.